Hi Antonio,

On Wed, Sep 1, 2021 at 8:11 PM Antonio T. sagitter
<sagit...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> 'openbabel2' and 'openbabel3' cannot co-exist if installed because they
> have same binary files, it's a "binary name conflicts".
>
> Is it acceptable an openbabel2/openbabel(3) conflict in Fedora?

I think that the people you'd be catering to by providing both
packages are also the ones more likely to be bitten by the conflict
between them. Taking Avogadro as an example, there are people who use
both Avogadro and Avogadro2, because of their different feature sets.
If one day these people are notified that they can't have both
Avogadro and Avogadro2 installed at the same time, I don't suppose
they're going to be much less displeased than when they'd find out
that Avogadro had been deprecated.

In my view, the way forward is for maintainers to patch what can be
patched to work with Open Babel 3 and lay the others to rest. Less
work for you and slightly less or equal amount of frustration for the
users. At least now that enough time has passed since the 3.x release,
as Mamoru pointed out, a lot of the work required has already been
done by other distros.