V Thu, Sep 23, 2021 at 12:04:36PM +0200, Miro Hrončok napsal(a):
> On 23. 09. 21 11:48, Artur Frenszek-Iwicki wrote:
> > Sounds good. I took a look at the "multi builds" page - it describes the
> > process neatly, but I think there's one thing that could be added there:
> > what if you already built a package in the main tag (but it didn't go
> > through bodhi and get to stable)? Will it be included in the newly-created
> > side tag, or do you need to execute some command to add it there?
>
> If it's rawhide or pre-beta-freeze branched, it will eventually reach it
> when it reaches stable automatically.
>
> If it needs to go trough updatest testing to reach stable, you can tag the
> build to the side tga manually:

It's more complicated. Rawhide also goes through testing. E.g. gating tests
are performed at that stage. But the important difference is that Rawhide
updates are not owned by the package builder. They are owned by a robot.
That's becomes a hurdle later.

> $ koji tag f36-build-side-47819 python-foobar-0.13.6-1.fc36
>
> You need to run koji wait-repo to verify it is in the buildroot.

Once all builds are done in a side tag, you want to push them to testing.

You might create a new update. But first you need to remove the original build
from the old update. Because Bodhi does not allow multiple updates with the
same build. And you will find out that it's impossible:

If the old update is owned by a robot, you won't have permissions to edit it.
A dead end. Solution is rebuilding the package with a different release number
and keep the old update bitrot.

If the old update is owned by you, you won't be able to remove the old build
because Bodhi does not allow buildless update. Solution is add all the builds
from side tag to the old update. But bodhi will detect that they are from
a side tag and will reject them. You also cannot add them with a "from a side
tag" feature becuase Bodhi will detect that the old update is not of
a side-tag type.  Solution is tagging them to the candidate tag manually, and
then attaching them manually to the old update.

Hence, while side tags looks appealing, they are pretty troublesome when
interacting with Bodhi. Especially when you find out in the middle of rebuilds
that you need a side tag.

Maybe if Bodhi acquired "turn this update into a side tag" feature, side-tags
would become easier to handle.

-- Petr