On 02/10/21 15:35, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Oct 2021 at 03:48, Mattia Verga via devel
> <devel@lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>> Recently I've started seen a strange behavior of dnf while downloading
>> RPMs updates: some packages are downloaded at the usual speed of my
>> connection (ca. 10MBps), while other packages, in the same transaction,
>> shows really slow download speed (<100KBps).
>>
>> Does dnf uses different mirrors to download package updates in the same
>> transaction? Is there a way to show the mirror dnf downloads the updates
>> from? Running dnf in verbose mode doesn't show any clue.
>>
> dnf uses the same mirror until there is a complete timeout or a not
> found. It will then switch to another mirror
>
> Check the file /var/log/dnf.librepo.log to see if it is capturing the
> mirror. On mine it records info like:
>
> http://mirror.math.princeton.edu/pub/fedora/linux//updates/33/Modular/x86_64/repodata/f58e2b59bf551113cf566c6ef119900a3160de712ae1943f67fca42f05c23
> 0e9-updateinfo.xml.zck
> 2021-10-02T09:31:38-0400 INFO Downloading:
> http://packages.oit.ncsu.edu/fedora/linux//updates/33/Everything/x86_64/drpms/appstream-data-33-3.fc33_33-4.fc33.noarch.drpm

Thanks, that was really useful.

 From what I see in the logs, my dnf transactions usually use
http://fedora.mirror.garr.it/fedora/linux/ as mirror.

I then tried to download the metadata files with some simple wget calls
and I see random slow download speeds even here: by downloading the
-primary.xml.zck file I got 10.6MBps two times and 125KBps the third
time. By repeating the download multiple times I can see 1 out of three
or two times I have a slow speed download.

I don't see any problem with a couple of other mirrors I tried, so I
will try to contact the garr.it server admin...

Mattia