On Wed, Oct 06, 2021 at 09:39:46AM +0200, Vít Ondruch wrote:

> Dne 05. 10. 21 v 18:04 Stephen John Smoogen napsal(a):

> >>Yeah, but... that's not going get through the PR process? In fact, that
> >>specific thing should fail in CI before a human gets to it even.
> >>
> >>Overall, we put a lot of trust in maintainers. I don't see this _particular_
> >>route as a likely one for violating that trust.
> >>
> >I think part of the problem is that I don't think the proposal has
> >enough flesh on its bones for people not to see it causing all kinds
> >of problems somewhere. Or vice versa seeing not enough to see it being
> >worthwhile for a beginner. [For many a developer, PR's aren't that
> >interesting to most developers and not what they think about when
> >looking at packaging. Running fedpkg and making a spec file work on my
> >system and through the complicated koji+bodhi+mbs+.. stack is real
> >packaging.] So we need a real proposal with an end to end idea of what
> >is being done, what is to be learned, and how it is to be 'watched' by
> >real developers to make sure people are learning things.
> >

> This was proposed in the "release early, release often" spirit. So I
> am glad for the generally positive feedback for this idea and I also
> appreciate the concerns which were risen.
>
> And as I said, this targets the newcomers, so start with the PR is
> probably the right thing to do. But even "start with PR" has more
> degrees of freedom, e.g. should the contributors modify the
> changelog manually or should the `%autorelease` / `%autochangelog`
> be used as proposed by Matt? Maybe this could be two scenarios after
> all. But it is hard to judge where the line is between being useful
> to learn something and being tedious, boring, unattractive or
> discouraging.

I'd very much lean on the side of %autorelease/%autochangelog.
That workflow isn't perfect yet, but it's certainly the feature, and
in general, newcomers should learn the new workflows.
(There's also the issue raised by Matt that with traditional
%changelog pretty much each and every parallel pull request would
conflict.)

Zbyszek