On Wed, Oct 6, 2021 at 5:21 AM Vít Ondruch <vondr...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Dne 06. 10. 21 v 9:44 Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek napsal(a):

> >> This was proposed in the "release early, release often" spirit. So I
> >> am glad for the generally positive feedback for this idea and I also
> >> appreciate the concerns which were risen.
> >>
> >> And as I said, this targets the newcomers, so start with the PR is
> >> probably the right thing to do. But even "start with PR" has more
> >> degrees of freedom, e.g. should the contributors modify the
> >> changelog manually or should the `%autorelease` / `%autochangelog`
> >> be used as proposed by Matt? Maybe this could be two scenarios after
> >> all. But it is hard to judge where the line is between being useful
> >> to learn something and being tedious, boring, unattractive or
> >> discouraging.
> > I'd very much lean on the side of %autorelease/%autochangelog.
> > That workflow isn't perfect yet, but it's certainly the feature, and
> > in general, newcomers should learn the new workflows.
> > (There's also the issue raised by Matt that with traditional
> > %changelog pretty much each and every parallel pull request would
> > conflict.)
>

> I have put together very naive concept here:
>
> https://fedorapeople.org/cgit/vondruch/public_git/dummy-onboarding-contributors-pr.git/
>
> https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/vondruch/dummy-onboarding-contributors-pr/
>
> However, with more traffic commits like [1] will conflict anyway.

Matthew recommended that it be a functional package and others have
suggested that it should also be part of a Badge series. I think we
could make this work fairly easily:

1) We write a simple application to include in the package. Its
purpose will be to display a web page that lists the names of all of
the CONTRIBUTORS up to this point and then, after 30 seconds,
automatically redirects to the badge-claim link.
2) The application would also be designed to throw an error if the
binary is located anywhere but /usr/bin. Essentially "you built the
package and were able to install it successfully".
3) The application would generate the list of CONTRIBUTORS from a drop
directory (CONTRIBUTORS.d) instead of a single file, so we can avoid
the potential conflicts.