On Fri, Oct 22, 2021 at 11:24:31PM +0200, Fabio Valentini wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 22, 2021 at 3:49 PM Michael Catanzaro <mcatanz...@gnome.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Oct 21 2021 at 05:15:37 PM -0700, Tom Stellard
> > <tstel...@redhat.com> wrote:
> > > To do this, you need to add -fuse-ld=lld  -Wl,--build-id=sha1 to the
> > > linker flags.
> >
> > I suppose I'll give it a try.
> >
> > ld.bfd just made it even worse:
> >
> > /usr/bin/ld.gold: fatal error: lib/libwebkit2gtk-4.0.so.37.55.4: mmap:
> > failed to allocate 2563095728 bytes for output file: Cannot allocate
> > memory
> >
> > I already tried building with -g0 to get the binary size down. I guess
> > I will also try a build with -Os to see if that makes a difference, in
> > parallel to a build with lld. That said, no matter what solution we use
> > here, it seems like only a matter of time before i686 is no longer
> > supportable.
>
> If you do plan to go ahead with this at some point, please consider
> either announcing it very publicly, or even better, filing a Change
> proposal for it.
> Removing a non-leaf package from an architecture has ripple effects
> across the whole distro, depending on how big the reverse dependency
> tree of the package is, so this should not be done without care, and
> especially not for a released branch.

AIUI we only keep i686 around for multilib.  There's no i686 kernel,
so no one can install Fedora on a 32 bit machine or VM, so no one will
be running a GUI.

Therefore the only possible use of webkit2gtk3 is to compile a 32 bit
GUI application that would run on a 64 bit Fedora.

What kind of application would that be?  It seems like a very marginal
use case unless I'm missing something (and maybe I am).

Rich.