On Thu, 28 Oct 2021 at 08:51, Michael Catanzaro <mcatanz...@gnome.org> wrote:

> What I just don't understand is why so much argument over a minuscule
> disk space increase. We can argue over the best way to create
> backtraces. But trying to step on the toes of other people who are
> working on this problem just because their work requires a tiny
> annotation in each binary seems weird.

My take from these conversations is that it is best to
a) Not have Lennart's name tied to a request. That just pulls in all
kinds of over-the-top statements where people will say 99.99% of the
people won't use it without any evidence.
b) Don't mention disk space growth. You will get nothing about how you
are bloating the operating system. **
c) Don't mention anything about making debugging or security easier.
Anyone who has a workflow will see that as a challenge to their own
choices.

This change has all three and so is going to be yelled at over and
over again. Instead you should make a change request which will give
you all those but has some other item tied to it.

** We do not have these conversations that the linux-firmware over
time has eaten more disk space or that other compiler choices have
done even worse. It only comes up when people ask for permission
versus just doing it.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Flame wars in