Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> a) Not have Lennart's name tied to a request. That just pulls in all
> kinds of over-the-top statements where people will say 99.99% of the
> people won't use it without any evidence.

What does Lennart's name have to do with this? I would have objected the
same way to this change no matter whose name(s) are on it. (And for what it
is worth, I actually considered this to be mainly Zbyszek's change proposal.
But it does not matter anyway. I have nothing against Zbyszek and I have
seen a lot of good ideas from him. This change just happens to be a bad
idea.)

> b) Don't mention disk space growth. You will get nothing about how you
> are bloating the operating system. **

Nonsense. It is blatantly obvious to me that adding annotations to
executables will bloat the operating system, even if you attempt to swipe
that issue under the carpet. Do not take me for dumb!

> c) Don't mention anything about making debugging or security easier.
> Anyone who has a workflow will see that as a challenge to their own
> choices.

That is also a nonsensical assertion. The issue here is that there is a
tradeoff between provable global bloat to the entire distribution and a very
questionable gain in functionality.

> This change has all three and so is going to be yelled at over and
> over again. Instead you should make a change request which will give
> you all those but has some other item tied to it.

So you are advocating deliberately using a dishonest and misleading
political tactic that politicians are rightfully criticized for, namely
hiding unwanted changes in a larger change proposal?

> ** We do not have these conversations that the linux-firmware over
> time has eaten more disk space or that other compiler choices have
> done even worse. It only comes up when people ask for permission
> versus just doing it.

Oh, we do complain about the creeping bloat, repeatedly. Though there is
only so much we can do downstream about linux-firmware growing all the time.
This change, on the other hand, is entirely a Fedora decision that we have
full control of.

        Kevin Kofler