On 11/18/21 10:15 AM, Neal Gompa wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 12:27 PM Josh Stone <jist...@redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 11/17/21 2:27 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>>> And not 'in fedora', but people always bring up steam when these
>>> disccussions happen. I wonder why they are sticking with 32bit?
>>
>> Is that just for the steam client, or also for its many legacy games?
>> ISTR it provides its own platform libraries for games, only relying on
>> system libs for stuff like mesa, but I'm not sure how the rpm is really
>> packaged. Personally, I've moved to the flatpak.
>
> All of it is 32-bit (client, games, runtime). Steam also offers a
> 64-bit runtime, but not many games I own use it.

Sure, but with a private runtime they can run whatever 32-bit code they
want, as long as our kernel has CONFIG_COMPAT_32=y. But I'm wondering
how much of Fedora's 32-bit userspace is used by that stuff.

The question "why they are sticking with 32bit?" is easily answered for
games, because they simply aren't under active development. That doesn't
mean we're still providing libraries for all of those.