On 30/12/2021 07:02, Chris Murphy wrote:
On Wed, Dec 29, 2021 at 8:19 AM Tom Hughes via devel
<devel@lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:

I don't see how this is FHS compliant, which in turn would make
it non-compliant with Fedora Packaging Guidelines, namely:

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/#_filesystem_layout

The FHS describes /usr here:

    https://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/FHS_3.0/fhs/ch04.html#purpose18

as "/usr is shareable, read-only data" which clearly does not
apply to a database that changes.

In practice it is read-only data, except when software is being
installed or updated. The FHS is a PITA sometimes, but it's not
advocating for systems that can't be updated or changed..

As I demonstrated later in my email the contents of /var/lib/rpm
do change at other times though.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (t...@compton.nu)