On Thu, Dec 30, 2021 at 10:09 AM Stephen John Smoogen <smo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Dec 2021 at 21:20, Matthew Miller <mat...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 29, 2021 at 10:51:44AM -0500, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>> > F36 but needs to be worked through the proper channels of 'upstream'. Get
>> > the FHS updated and fixed, work out that the change actually is going to be
>>

>> Pretty sure that's a non-starter. FHS 3.0 was released in 2015, and the
>> whole thing has been effectively dead since.
>>

> I agree that the FHS and LSB are practically dead, but it is heavily used in
> our work. FHS compliance is one of the first things package reviews get
> dinged on and it doesn't help if we start down the 'Do as I say, not as I do'
> route. I would say we either need to drop FHS compliance or use an amended
> copy and work with the SuSE people on making that a shared standard.

That's pretty much what has been going on. I've been working in
openSUSE for a few years now to rationalize the FHS configuration in
openSUSE to more closely match Fedora. As a result, today the only
differences between Red Hat and SUSE distributions are in
/usr/lib/sysimage/rpm and usage of /srv in packages. I do not think
we'll adopt their usage of /srv anytime soon, but RPM-OSTree variants
already are working to move rpmdb from /usr/share/rpm to
/usr/lib/sysimage/rpm based on upstream feedback. This Change
basically makes it so we use the same rpmdb path regardless of Fedora
variant.