On Thu, Feb 3, 2022 at 7:41 PM Kevin Fenzi <ke...@scrye.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 03, 2022 at 06:38:11PM +0000, Ian McInerney via devel wrote:
> >
> > I guess it was a mirror caching issue. I tried again just now and it
> picked
> > up the update just fine. I didn't think the updates-testing repo was
> > mirrored though, but it is very annoying that the mirror sync and the
> push
> > to updates-testing apparently aren't synchronized, leading to a large lag
> > there.
>
> yes, updates-testing is mirrored just like updates.
>
> Sadly there's not too much we can do about the sync time, since mirrors
> are free to sync as ofter or inoften as they like. ;(
>
> It's possible that updates-testing doesn't get that much traffic these
> days and we could look at un-mirroring it somehow. Everyone seems pretty
> used to it by now however and you can get the updates from koji or from
> bodhi directly too.
>
> kevin
>

>From a user experience perspective, the mirror lag time on it is very
annoying. When the update is pushed to testing, Bodhi posts a comment in
the associated Bugzilla saying that you should "soon" be able to install
the update using the relevant DNF command. In my opinion, having to wait 18
hours before that command works (and continually having to try that command
throughout the day to see when it will start working) is very annoying from
the perspective of someone who wants to test the fix to a bug they are
affected by/reported.

Can we figure out how much traffic updates-testing is actually getting
currently to see if it can be unmirrored? In my mind, it would seem that
the fact updates live inside updates-testing for a very short time (on the
timescale of days) before being moved to normal updates, and the fact it is
not enabled by default, would make me think it is probably low traffic in
comparison.

Alternately, is there an option in DNF to automatically use the mirror that
was updated most recently, even if it isn't the fastest/geographically
closest?

-Ian