On Tue, Feb 22, 2022 at 8:57 PM Jason L Tibbitts III <j...@tib.bs> wrote:

> > I would like to see the forge macros removed from the guidelines if
> > development truly has ceased.
>
> I would like to get into them and at least see what needs to change
> but... the internal implementation is somewhat baroque and my time is
> severely limited.  I think there is good stuff there but I don't know
> how much work would be required to salvage it.
>
> One problem is that at least I thought that significant portions of the
> Go tooling relied on it, and there's no alternative that has any kind of
> automation.

I don't think removing the forge macros would be possible at this
point, exactly for this reason.

However, Go and Font packaging macros are the only things where using
those macros is not optional, and in both cases, you're supposed to
use wrapper macros so you're not even using the %forgefoo macros
directly.

So I don't think they need to be documented as a standalone feature
any longer, especially since they don't really provide value for
standard GitHub tarball downloads etc. compared to the "old" SourceURL
guidelines we've had for years, and are no longer maintained.

Should we remove documentation for them from the SourceURL guidelines
page? It seems to cause more confusion than it solves problems.

Fabio