Hi

On Thu, Mar 3, 2022 at 9:51 AM Lennart Poettering wrote:

> Yes, opt-out would be better than opt-in, but it would be a major
> compat break, UNIX software doesn't expect to be sandboxed, so if you
> sandbox everything out-of-the-box you'll be drowning in bugs, and the
> failure modes are not overly nice, i.e. you'll mostly rely on
> EPERM/EACCES hopefully being logged sanely by the relevant software.
>
> ProtectHome= for example implies that a separate mount namespace is
> allocated for each service. if you enable that for *all* services at
> once, then this means all services will suddenly live in their own
> mount namespaces, and the mount they establish will not propagate
> elsewhere anymore. Thus you broke at least udisks, storaged, homed,
> systemd-runtime-dir@.service and these kinds of things — because they
> exist precisely to establish mounts in the system.

What I would suggest here is we make it easier to adopt the opt out model
by explicitly setting services to opt out for things they can't handle, ie)
if a core set of services we ship within Fedora itself needs some
permissions including ProtectHome to false, push for upstream/distro to
have those knobs to be false explicitly within the service so the
permissions it needs are more clearly documented within the service itself
and then if a hardened variant of a distro or a sysadmin wants to flip the
model, they will have a considerably easier time with this.  Nagging is a
good starting point but doesn't go far enough.  The adoption of these
features is still very low.  We can do better.

Rahul