Indeed, HP (now HPE) first introduced UEFI support to their ProLiant servers in the Gen8 series, which I believe was around 2013. While I think the previous G7 servers have reached the end of their support lifecycle (but are probably still happily running in some places), UEFI has indeed been supported on some vendors’ server hardware for less than ten years.

I also manage a desktop for a family member based on an AMD Phenom II X4 CPU and ASUS M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 motherboard. It was built at the very end of 2010 with new upper-mid-range hardware, so it’s a bit over ten years old. It doesn’t support UEFI. On the other hand, it’s a 3.4 GHz quad-core platform and still extremely usable.

Until 2021, my primary computer was a circa-2007 desktop that did not support UEFI. Again, with a Q6600 (2.4 GHz quad-core CPU) and a modern SSD, it was more than usable. I elected to replace rather than repair it after a power supply failure.

I can’t say I oppose this Change, because I can’t do anything to mitigate the underlying reasons that it appears to be necessary. Still, I agree that it will impact much newer and “better” hardware than some people might have expected.