Hans de Goede wrote:
> So most hw will either be new enough to offer an efifb which
> simpledrm will turn into a drm/kms /dev/dri/card0 device. Or it
> will be old enough that it almost certainly will have
> a drm/kms driver.
>
> And for the really odd duck out a vesa mode can be set on the kernel
> cmdline which simpledrm should then pick up:
>
> https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/admin-guide/svga.html
> https://www.systutorials.com/configuration-of-linux-kernel-video-mode/

Thanks for the explanation. If that is true, then this change should be more
acceptable than the partly related "desupport all non-(U)EFI systems" one
(which I consider entirely unacceptable).

Still, I remain worried about the details, such as:
* that, if VESA is needed, the VESA mode has to be configured through the
  kernel CLI,
* that, as far as I can see, switching to another mode with kernel VESA
  requires a reboot (with different kernel CLI options),
* what will happen to the "basic video mode" boot option (as pointed out by
  Kamil Paral).

      Kevin Kofler