> Am 10.04.2022 um 04:50 schrieb Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmas...@gmail.com>:
>
> On Wed, Apr 6, 2022 at 6:01 PM Neal Gompa <ngomp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Moving past the Big Three(tm), the actual
>> cloud providers that matter from a Fedora context are the smaller
>> outfits that principally serve Linux users. These are companies like
>> DigitalOcean, Linode (Akamai), Hetzner, VexxHost, and others who
>> graciously do offer Fedora Linux in their platforms. All of their
>> virtualization platforms are BIOS only right now, and getting them to
>> switch requires them to uplift their platforms to support UEFI in the
>> first place.

I want to reiterate, it's not just about cloud platforms! if we remove BIOS
boot (too early), we also kick Fedora servers, installed on hardware, out of
these data centers.  And the reason is not that this server hardware does not
support UEFI, but the management infrastructure of the data centers.

And kicking ourselves out, really doesn't strike me as a brilliant idea.

> They may only support Linux users today, but if
> they want to grow (and while it is possible to
> survive as a niche service, many see growth
> as the way to increased revenue/profits (go
> big or go home)), they are going to get pushed
> (perhaps kicking and screaming) to support
> UEFI as at least an alternative …

It’s not so much about kicking and streaming, but about time, man power and
financial resources.

> Many of these comments seem to be about
> the date, not the end state (UEFI)(****),
> just like 32-bit x86 and armv7.  No one wants
> their personal ox gored, but there will come
> a time when it will be time to let old systems
> go.

Yes indeed. It’s about time.

And we need a solution we can keep operable longer than 3 years. It's more of a
10-year thing.