Hi all,

A few months ago fedpkg introduced a change which avoids downloading source
files (from dist-git) that are not used in the specfile and therefore
downloading them would be wasting of resources and time.
The original request was opened here [1] and implemented here [2]. The
logic is part of the command "fedpkg sources" and currently can't be
disabled manually. The logic parses specfile, but doesn't do a deep
analysis, so it is doesn't always right.

Recently we got a request for opt-in implementation of this. It means you
should actively use some argument (ie. --skip-unused) to avoid downloading
unused sources. The requestor points out that it broke the original
functionality and it is not possible to add any extra arguments into the
complicated release process (RHEL kernel).

On the other hand, opt-out (--download-unused) has (I think) a
significantly higher impact on saving resources (time and network
capacity). Of course, it doesn't have to be implemented as an extra
argument, there might be a different (maybe not so clean) solution for such
projects.

What do you think about it?

I added into a loop (bcc) names who already were involved in this in a past
(on the Fedora devel mailing list)

Thanks, Ondrej

[1] https://pagure.io/rpkg/issue/559
[2] https://pagure.io/rpkg/pull-request/564