On Wed, May 04, 2022 at 09:45:55PM +0300, Otto Urpelainen wrote:
> Ondrej Nosek kirjoitti 4.5.2022 klo 18.01:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > A few months ago fedpkg introduced a change which avoids downloading source
> > files (from dist-git) that are not used in the specfile and therefore
> > downloading them would be wasting of resources and time.
> > The original request was opened here [1] and implemented here [2]. The
> > logic is part of the command "fedpkg sources" and currently can't be
> > disabled manually. The logic parses specfile, but doesn't do a deep
> > analysis, so it is doesn't always right.
> >
> > Recently we got a request for opt-in implementation of this. It means you
> > should actively use some argument (ie. --skip-unused) to avoid downloading
> > unused sources. The requestor points out that it broke the original
> > functionality and it is not possible to add any extra arguments into the
> > complicated release process (RHEL kernel).
>
> Author of the patch under discussion here.
>
> The premise was that "specfile sources" equal "sources file sources". Since
> there is a request like this, that is apparently not always the case. From
> that perspective, the patch is wrong and opt-in would be the correct way.

I think opt-in will be useless and make the entire option pointless.
Most maintainers won't be aware it exists.

Why would someone want to opt-out of this?

> The suggestion to also allow configuring this in fedpkg.conf is good,
> because for the majority of users who do not encounter these special
> packages could avoid the effort to adding an extra parameter every time.

I suppose maintainers could set a conf option, but I suspect the vast
majority wouldn't even know it exists.

> It is also good to keep in mind that the original reason why unused sources
> were bothering packagers was that they easily happen during package version
> updates, when test builds are done with 'fedokg mockbuild' after specfile
> has been updated to the new package version, but before lookaside cache has
> been updated with new sources. At the same time wiht #564, I also wrote
> another path #561 [1] that enabled 'fedpkg new-sources --offline'. That
> allows a package update workflow that also avoids unnecessary downloads:
>
>     $ rpm-bumpspec -n 1.2.3 *.spec
>     $ spectool -g *.spec
>     Downloading: https://example.com/downloads/package-1.2.3.tar.gz
>     Downloaded: package-1.2.3.tar.gz
>     $ fedpkg new-sources --offline package-1.2.3.tar.gz
>     Uploading: package-1.2.3.tar.gz
>     *Upload disabled*
>     Source upload succeeded. Don't forget to commit the sources file
>     $ fedpkg mockbuild
>     Not downloading already downloaded package-1.2.3.tar.gz
>
> Given availability of this method, if there are no other, major cases where
> unused sources appear, I do not think opt-in is a bad solution.

I suspect most maintainers won't use that either.
If you are going to be doing a PR you _do_ want to upload the source (so
the tests on the PR work). But you likely want to build/test locally
first before uploading in case there's some big problem with the
source...

Just my 2cents.

kevin