Neal Gompa kirjoitti 10.5.2022 klo 2.10:
On Mon, May 9, 2022 at 7:00 PM Kevin Fenzi <ke...@scrye.com> wrote:

On Mon, May 09, 2022 at 01:21:53PM -0400, Neal Gompa wrote:
On Mon, May 9, 2022 at 1:13 PM Kevin Fenzi <ke...@scrye.com> wrote:

On Wed, May 04, 2022 at 09:45:55PM +0300, Otto Urpelainen wrote:
Ondrej Nosek kirjoitti 4.5.2022 klo 18.01:
Hi all,

A few months ago fedpkg introduced a change which avoids downloading source
files (from dist-git) that are not used in the specfile and therefore
downloading them would be wasting of resources and time.
The original request was opened here [1] and implemented here [2]. The
logic is part of the command "fedpkg sources" and currently can't be
disabled manually. The logic parses specfile, but doesn't do a deep
analysis, so it is doesn't always right.

Recently we got a request for opt-in implementation of this. It means you
should actively use some argument (ie. --skip-unused) to avoid downloading
unused sources. The requestor points out that it broke the original
functionality and it is not possible to add any extra arguments into the
complicated release process (RHEL kernel).

Author of the patch under discussion here.

The premise was that "specfile sources" equal "sources file sources". Since
there is a request like this, that is apparently not always the case. From
that perspective, the patch is wrong and opt-in would be the correct way.

I think opt-in will be useless and make the entire option pointless.
Most maintainers won't be aware it exists.

Why would someone want to opt-out of this?

I need to when working on ffmpeg updates, since it clobbers my
regenerated tarballs when I'm working normally. I had no idea about
this until someone pointed it out to me.

I have difficulties understanding this. If the problem is that downloads clobber locally modified files, how can "opting out of avoiding downloading" help? I would think "opting in to avoid downloading" or, equivalently, "opting out of downloading" would help.

So you mean where you have modified the source, but the name is the same
as in spec and it overwrites your local changes by downloading
the lookaside one over it?

Yes.

Such problem is not related to the original post. The discussion here is if a file listed in the sources file, but *not* as Source in the specfile, should be downloaded.

Fedpkg also has the feature that is avoids downloading sources that are locally available with matching hash. So, as already suggested in other replies, to avoid clobbering, after local changes, update the hash in the sources file. 'fedpkg new-sources --offline' will do that for you.