On 6/17/22 06:55, Kevin Kofler via devel wrote:
> Ben Cotton wrote (on behalf of Daan De Meyer, Davide Cavalca, Andrii
> Nakryiko):
>
>> Fedora will add -fno-omit-frame-pointer to the default C/C++
>> compilation flags, which will improve the effectiveness of profiling
>> and debugging tools.
> […]
>> Any performance or efficiency work relies on accurate profiling data.
>
> So, you propose to destroy programs' performance in order to allow people to
> more easily improve programs' performance? That strikes me as a particularly
> bad idea.

A much better solution would be to enhance perf to run the unwinder in
user mode.  The whole reason that this is even a tradeoff is because
perf does unwinding in kernel mode, and a kernel-mode DWARF parser
is an terrible idea for security reasons.

> The profiling data collected with -fno-omit-frame-pointer will also not be
> accurate for when the software is compiled with the default (under -O2 and
> above) -fomit-frame-pointer. (In particular, the cost of shorter functions
> will be significantly higher (in relation to the total) with the frame
> pointer than with omitted frame pointer.) So it can actually lead to the
> software getting tuned only for the Fedora build configuration.
>
> In addition, the frame pointer also increases code size (though, to be fair,
> the asynchronous unwind tables that we usually want for code compiled with
> -fomit-frame-pointer also take space).
>
>> Sampling profilers probe the target program's call stack at regular
>> intervals and store the stack traces. If we collect enough of them, we
>> can closely approximate the real cost of a library or function with
>> minimal runtime overhead.
>
> Sampling profilers are fast, but will never reach the accuracy of Valgrind
> (which, as far as I know, can deal with DWARF unwinding just fine).
>
>         Kevin Kofler

Valgrind is not helpful for profiling production workloads.  It is
too slow and will not provide an accurate indication of where the
time is being spent.  That requires a sampling profiler.
--
Sincerely,
Demi Marie Obenour (she/her/hers)