On Fri, Jun 17, 2022 at 07:10:01PM -0000, Daan De Meyer via devel wrote:
> > Regressions of such magnitude can veto such changes, especially when
> > they hit everyone, not just those who are highly dependent on the
> > profiling tools the proposal is concerned about.
>
> The kernel benchmarks were added as an example of openly available data we
> could find on the potential impact of frame pointers. Note that the email
> from Mel Gorman is all we have to go on. Unfortunately the original data from
> the benchmarks is gone so I can't try to reproduce them. I've emailed Mel to
> see if he still has the benchmarks stored somewhere so we can perhaps try to
> reproduce the results.
>
> I've added a clarification to the change proposal that we don't intend to
> actually compile the kernel with frame pointers

OK, so the (old!) kernel benchmarks are not of little relevance.

I think that this really needs to be benchmarked. Without that the
discussion will just go on in circles. There are two nice options for
this: either copr, where you first build the redhat-rpm-config with the
adjusted options and then rebuild some subset of rawhide to be able
to do benchmarks, or just the same thing locally on a server with a bunch
of CPUs. One architecture should be enough. Mini-rebuilds like that take
a few days, so it's entirely possible to do.

Zbyszek