On Tue, Jun 28, 2022 at 02:41:42PM +0200, Kevin Kofler via devel wrote:
> Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> > The whole proposal consists of a few parts. The part that was voted on
> > was the first part. Various people opposed the whole proposal, but it
> > was the later parts that raised the stronger opposition.
>
> I and others have also objected to the entire concept of bundling the
> libraries where not absolutely necessary, with arguments given.
>
> > The first part is something that is really within maintainer discretion,
>
> It is true that the rules on bundling have become less and less strict over
> time. However, there is still a SHOULD-grade requirement that system
> libraries should be used where reasonably possible, to which the Change is
> in blatant contradiction.

As you say, it's "SHOULD", and the maintainers argue that it'll be much
easier for them to do it in this way. You keep using strong words like
"blatant" where they are blatanly inappropriate.

> > and has no impact on other packages.
>
> Well, it has a potential impact at least on all packages depending on the
> JDK/JRE. Also, security issues in the bundled libraries can cause the user's
> whole Fedora installation to be compromised.
>
> > If the maintainer thinks that this will make it easier for them to deliver
> > the package in this form, I don't think FESCo should block it.
>
> At that point, we gain very little from having the JDK/JRE in Fedora at all,
> as opposed to a third-party RPM repository. Why bother shipping a Fedora
> package at all if it does not follow Fedora best practices (SHOULD
> guidelines) and in particular does not use Fedora-packaged libraries?
>
> > It certainly is not true that the feedback was not considered by FESCo:
> > there was a long discussion on IRC, and FESCo members also participated in
> > the mailing list thread.
>
> Yet, the outcome is diametrically opposed to the mailing list consensus.

I don't think it makes sense to restart the discussion here. I disagree
that there was (any) consensus on the mailing list. If you feel that it's
better to use a non-Fedora JRE, that's certainly possible, please just do
that if you want to. Personally, I see a lot of value in having Java packaged
for Fedora, and use it for my stuff.

Zbyszek