On Mon, Jul 11, 2022 at 08:52:28AM -0500, Kate Stewart wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 11, 2022 at 6:02 AM Josh Boyer <jwbo...@fedoraproject.org>
> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Jul 10, 2022 at 12:34 PM Miroslav Suchý <msu...@redhat.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Dne 08. 07. 22 v 4:59 Stewart Smith via devel napsal(a):
> > >
> > > Another - what do we do about, e.g., Fedora IoT and Fedora CoreOS,
> > > which have their own somewhat different release/life cycles? What about
> > > module lifecycles? What is it about *lifecycles* that's important,
> > > anyway? Don't we maybe want to just have a sort of generic system for
> > > "important events"?
> > >
> > > I view it as a mechanism to communicate well in advance of when someone
> > > is going to have to do work.
> > >
> > > Fedora is the simple case: every 6-12 months you're going to have to
> > > upgrade the version of the OS.
> > >
> > > And when implementing this for Fedora, can you bear RHEL in mind too?
> > Because it has several levels of EOL
> > >

> > https://endoflife.software/operating-systems/linux/red-hat-enterprise-linux-rhel
> >
> > RHEL is already implementing it's own scheme for lifecycle metadata.
> >

> A "ValidUntilDate" was added to SPDX 2.3 about a month ago, to enable
> capture of End of Support / End of Life information as metadata captured
> about a package or group of packages, so different policies can be
> articulated this way.   (see: https://github.com/spdx/spdx-spec/pull/709).
>  In 2.3, it's an optional field, so if the information is available,
> there's a place to put it.   Similarly a ReleaseDate and BuiltDate were
> added, which are useful in some policy and automated checkers.

Those two approaches should not conflict. Maybe at some point we'll
have the information in two places, but that's not a problem.

(Right now we don't have include generate the spdx BOM for packages
that we build, nor is there any mechanism for making it available in
Fedora installations. So the spdx fields are not directly relevant for
us, at least for now.)

Zbyszek