Demi Marie Obenour wrote:
> I can’t help with maintenance, but I honestly wonder if some of
> these programs could be modified to shell out to a browser subprocess.

That is not a reasonable solution. Those applications need embedded HTML in
the UI, not a separate browser window. And it does not help at all if the
browser that is shelled out to itself uses QtWebEngine.

> Even if Fedora shipped QtWebEngine releases the day they were tagged
> in git, this would still not be enough for security.  Not when upstream
> itself is lagging so badly.

But it would be better than now where we are sitting on dozens of security
fixes, some of them critical, for 3+ MONTHS!

> I also wonder if some features of QtWebEngine, such as the V8 JIT
> compiler or even scripting as a whole, ought to be proactively
> disabled.

-1 to that from me as the maintainer of Falkon. It would completely break
Falkon. Hardly any website these days works without JavaScript
(unfortunately).

> There is absolutely no reason for KMail to be running untrusted scripts,
> and disabling them mitigates many if not most vulnerabilities.

KMail can (and, I believe, already does) disable JavaScript in its HTML
views.

        Kevin Kofler