Hi Ankur,

Ankur Sinha wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 20, 2022 03:58:41 +0200, Kevin Kofler via devel wrote:
>> So, since all current maintainers of qt5-qtwebengine, including me, are
>> failing badly at keeping the package up to date with security fixes, this
>> is an urgent plea for help. The current situation is not acceptable, any
>> helping hands to improve on it would be extremely welcome. I have admin
>> rights to the package, so I can add comaintainers that wish so.
>
> Thanks for maintaining the package. I heavily rely on Qutebrowser, and
> since it depends on qt5-qtwebengine{,-freeworld}, I'll be happy to help
> in whatever capacity I can. I usually use up my Fedora time working on
> our neuro-sig packages, but if it's a few hours every few months to
> update qt5-qtwebengine, I'm happy to help.

Any help you can give is welcome. Time is what we are all lacking, sadly.
But the more we are, the better we can share the load.

> What would the first step to pushing 5.15.9 to F35/F36 be for a start?

The first step would actually be to decide whether to go through with the
5.15.9 update or whether to go straight for 5.15.10. But that would need to
be imported into Rawhide first. So maybe better go with what is already
there (in Rawhide) and building, i.e., 5.15.9.

So if you want to start on 5.15.9, I would say:

1. Check that everything is in shape in Rawhide. I have done a commit a few
hours ago that omits an obsolete patch (that has actually been unnecessary
for years, looking at the code), I guess we can try building that to make
sure that it is still building. (It should. It definitely did build before
my commit.) And also to not break upgrade paths from the releases. If you
can try Qutebrowser and/or Falkon in Rawhide or know someone who can do it
or already did, that would be even better, but we can also do the basic
browser tests on the stable releases once we have the builds for them. As I
wrote, there should theoretically not be any breaking changes in the 5.15.x
LTS series.

2. Sync the current Fedora Rawhide changes to RPM Fusion (Rawhide branch)
qt5-qtwebengine-freeworld. That one is still stuck on 5.15.8. It needs the
update to 5.15.9 and the other changes from Fedora dist-git since 5.15.8
merged, then a build submitted. At least if we can get you commit privileges
to the package there, otherwise Rex or I will have to do that part of the
work.

3. Merge the rawhide branch in dist-git into the f36 and f35 branches, and
submit updates-candidate builds. Wait until they are done. (Better do more
than just grabbing coffee in that time, or you will end up with caffeine
poisoning before the build is done. ;-) Maybe even if you do that with
decaf… ;-) It is a long wait.) Then submit Bodhi updates. I normally disable
automatic pushes and set the limits for manual pushes to the minimum that
Bodhi lets me get away with (should be +1 karma resp. 7 days, unless the
package ended up in the critpath set somehow).

4. Then the merging and building needs to be done also in RPM Fusion, see
point 2. The builds there take even longer (hours), and we will probably
need to do one at a time because there is a shortage especially of aarch64
builders (I believe there is only one beefy enough to accept qt5-
qtwebengine-freeworld at all), and x86_64 builders are also a scarce
resource there.

5. Once karma arrives or the timeout runs out, push the F36 update first,
then the F35 one. (If you have karma only for F36, you can push only that at
first, but you should never push Fn-1 first due to upgrade paths. Though
there can exceptionally be reasons to do so, e.g., if the update needs to go
stable urgently before the release is EOLed.) Then wait for RPM Fusion to
follow suit and/or nag the admins there to push the update, which is a
manual process. Close the occasional bug report about broken dependencies
because -freeworld never hits the mirrors at the exact same time as the
Fedora package. Dependencies protect users from mismatched updates, and
PackageKit will simply silently withhold (not even display) the update for
users with -freeworld installed until both parts are out, but the users
still complain.

Yes, I have deliberately kept the ugly parts of the process in the list. I
hope that this will not demotivate you. (It is what we have to deal with for
every QtWebEngine update.)

If you want to go straight for 5.15.10, then the first step would be to get
5.15.10 into Rawhide, and then go through the same steps above to push
5.15.10 to the stable releases.

        Kevin Kofler