On Thu, Jul 21, 2022 at 10:39:55PM +0200, Fabio Valentini wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 20, 2022 at 4:56 PM Dan Horák <d...@danny.cz> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 20 Jul 2022 16:48:02 +0200
> > Miro Hrončok <mhron...@redhat.com> wrote:

> > > I suppose, considering the mass rebuild is today, that this change only
> > > makes
> > > sense for Fedora 38. Or do we really want to change this without
> > > rebuilding
> > > everything?
> >
> > it still makes sense to me, we can change default in the kernel, next
> > glibc build will pick it, so the majority of the perf improvements will
> > be available. And if something should go wrong (although I don't expect
> > that), then the individual package builds will get the change and it
> > will be easier to fix them incrementally, rather having a big(er) batch
> > from the rebuild at once.
>
> I'd argue that this should've been submitted as a System-Wide Change.
> If I understand correctly, this change would affect every package that
> is built on s390x?
> As such, it would've been way too late for Fedora 37, as it should
> also have been ready before the mass rebuild.
>
> And I'd also argue that not having this change ready before the mass
> rebuild, and only pushing selective builds is not a good idea.
> If there is fallout from this change, it would be better to catch it
> at or before the mass rebuild.
> Otherwise, if the switch is made *after*, potential breakage could
> well happen over the whole lifetime of Fedora 37 (i.e. after GA and
> until EOL), as more and more packages are rebuilt, which would be a
> completely unpredictable source of issues.

Note, in terms of software compatibility with newer CPU baseline,
this has already been widely tested given that RHEL-8 built with
the z13 baseline and RHEL-9 built with z14 baseline.

I do agree though that this feels like the kind of change that
makes sense todo all in one go at a mass rebuild, rather than
drip-feeding per-package.

Given Fedora has lagged waaaaaay behind RHEL in its s390x baseline
for years, I'm not seeing why there's a need to rush this in Fedora
late in the F37 cycle, rather than co-ordinating it for the F38
release to leverage a mass rebuild.

With regards,
Daniel