On Thu, Oct 13, 2022, at 3:08 PM, Ben Cotton wrote:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/OstreeNativeContainerStable

I know there's a lot going on here, so I put together
https://github.com/cgwalters/dnfimage-config
as a demonstration system to show this all works today.  (Though there's a lot
left to do)

To say this another way...I really, really wish I had a time machine to go back
and announce *this* instead of doing Fedora Atomic Host way back in the day.
If when Docker had come out (before Kubernetes, before podman, before CoreOS) I
wish I'd said "hey this container stuff is cool, why don't we make bootable
host operating systems configurable via containers too").  Oh well, better late
than never!

(And yes, we're not the first to this nowadays, but...first, this path gives a
seamless upgrade for all the existing ostree-based systems out there, and
second, you absolutely can continue to do "dnf install cowsay" or whatever
client side on standalone systems like desktops and homelab servers, you aren't
obligated to tie your an installed OS to external build infrastructure)