On Tue, Dec 6, 2022 at 11:27 AM Neal Gompa <ngomp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 6, 2022 at 7:54 AM Josh Boyer <jwbo...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Dec 6, 2022 at 1:43 AM Terry Barnaby <ter...@beam.ltd.uk> wrote:
> > >
> > > On 05/12/2022 16:00, Jarek Prokop wrote:
> > >

> > > On 12/5/22 14:57, Peter Robinson wrote:
> > >
> > > On Mon, Dec 5, 2022 at 12:01 PM Vitaly Zaitsev via devel
> > > <devel@lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > On 05/12/2022 12:39, Terry Barnaby wrote:
> > >
> > > I am wondering what Fedora's policy is on depreciated old shared
> > > libraries and particularly compat RPM's ?
> > >
> > > Fedora is a bleeding edge distribution. If you need old versions, you
> > > should try CentOS or RHEL.
> > >
> > > Being leading edge doesn't mean those usecases aren't relevant, one is
> > > not mutually exclusive to the other, especially when it comes to
> > > things like FPGAs etc.
> > >
> > > We still have myriad of VM orchestrating solutions (libvirt, vagrant,
> > > gnome-boxes, and probably others I forgot).
> > > There shouldn't be a problem spinning up a graphical environment of
> > > CentOS 7, getting EPEL and then using the tool.
> > >
> > > Maybe the tool would work using the `toolbox` utility using last known
> > > good Fedora version for the tool.
> > > That is just my wild guess however.
> > >
> > > This is sometimes the tax for being "too" modern.
> > > If the vendor does not want to support Fedora, we can't be held
> > > accountable to fully support their solution.
> > > Does the software work? Yes? That is great! If not, well… we can't do
> > > much without the source code under nice FOSS license, can we.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Jarek
> > >
> > > Although yes, there are things like VM's, containers etc. which we use
> > > for old development environments all of these are, IMO, clumsy and
> > > awkward to use and difficult to manage especially within automated build
> > > environments that build the complete code for an embedded system with
> > > various CPU's, FPGA's, other tools etc.
> > >
> > > I know Fedora is fairly bleeding edge (really too bleeding edge for our
> > > uses, but others are too far behind), but there is obviously going to be
> > > a balance here so that Fedora is still useful to as many people as
> > > reasonably possible, hence the question on a policy.
> > >
> > > In the particular case I am talking about, libncurses*5.so, this is a
> > > fairly common shared library used by quite a few command line tools. A
> > > lot of external/commercial programs are built on/for Redhat7 as it is a
> > > de-facto base Linux platform and programs built on it will likely work on
> > > many other Linux systems. These companies are not going to build for a
> > > version of Fedora, it changes far to fast and would require large amounts
> > > or development/support work because of this. Some of the tools I am using
> > > were built/shipped in Feburary 2022, so we are not talking about old
> > > tools here.
> >
> > I wouldn't expect them to build for a Fedora version.  I also wouldn't
> > expect ISV software built against Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 (or 8) to
> > work on Fedora either.

> [...]

That compatibility degrades over time though.  At this point in time,
with RHEL 7 being almost 9 years old, I would not expect software
built on RHEL 7 to work on any supported Fedora version.  If it does
work, that's fantastic and a testament to Fedora, but people should
not have that expectation.  Terry is politely asking for a policy that
would set that expectation.  I think the intention is good, but I
don't believe it to be realistic.

To perhaps illustrate the point further, Red Hat Enterprise Linux does
not support applications built on version X-1 running on X unless it
is constrained to using a very very small set of dependencies (glibc,
libgcc/libstdc++, and a few smaller libraries).  Again, it may work
fine but the expectation and support policies set for RHEL are
(simplified) build on X, run on X where X is within a major version.
Our full documentation on this is available in the Application
Compatibility Guides.

josh