Hi,

> But why start doing UKI without first fixing the need of host specific
> initrd and commandline.

We are trying to tackle that in parallel.  At least when generating
virtual machine images we can temporarily workaround that with short
%post scripts in kickstart files.

> I am sure even non-UEFI users will be better of of not having a host
> specific initrd. We should first start working on shipping initrd on
> dedora as an rpm with atleast one use which can be extended by sysext
> or someother mechanism without the need of UKI first.

We'll have to continue support kernel + host-generated initrd for the
foreseeable future.  UKIs are a second option.  Adding kernel + shipped
initrd as third option IMHO just adds complexity for no real benefit.

> Once That is possible that UKI can be easily be intgrated and
> tested. We will be also provide a subset of benefits to the non-UEFI
> users(for example on other arches).

We have experimental grub patches which can boot unified kernel on bios
systems.  Intended use case: hybrid bios/uefi cloud images with
UKIs.  Extending that to ppc is probably possible too should the ppc
arch maintainers be interested.

take care,
  Gerd