On Thu, Dec 22, 2022 at 02:49:37PM +0000, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> > There are at three ways that are used: 'dracut --uefi', systemd's ukify,
> > and a
> > manual objcopy invocation. The first two are wrappers around objcopy. I'm
> > biased
> > because I wrote 'ukify', but I think that's the way to go. What dracut does
> > is
> > somewhat primitive and doesn't get the offsets right. Obviously it could be
> > improved, but putting the code to generate UKIs inside of an initrd
> > generator is
> > a historical accident, and bash is not the nicest language to do offset
> > calculations. Thus I hope we can standarize on ukify instead.
>
> When you say it dooesn't get the offsets right, can you elaborate ?
> We've been using dracut --uefi to build the UKIs in koji and they
> appear to work as expected. Are the offsets only incorrect in
> certain circumstances.

When the kernel binary happens to be too big things break because the
end of the kernel will overlap with the start of the initrd due to the
fixed offsets used and thus the fixes space being available for the
kernel binary (and the other things being added to the uki, except
initrd which comes last).

Which is not the case right now with fedora kernels, so everything works
fine.

take care,
  Gerd