> Am 28.12.2022 um 13:34 schrieb Neal Gompa <ngomp...@gmail.com>:
>
> On Wed, Dec 28, 2022 at 7:25 AM Frank Crawford <fr...@crawford.emu.id.au>
> wrote:

>> I'd also note that this has always been configurable, it is just now
>> suggesting a different value from the default.
>
> I would also suggest that if you're shutting down/rebooting a server,
> then you really want that to be done sooner rather than later, so
> stuff getting killed as it shuts down if it doesn't do it normally
> after SIGTERM is probably fine, because they're likely hung.
>
> Waiting a half hour for a system to reboot is not acceptable.

Indeed, but it is not acceptable because the configuration of the timeout is
too long, but because there is probably something earnestly going wrong. And as
a server admin, I would like to decide myself to wait patiently and hope, to
evaluate the issue, or to pull the plug. I don't want to leave that to a stupid
timeout.

> 15 or 30 seconds is probably fine, even for servers, because of the
> nature of how systemd processes this timeout. It's per service being
> shut down, rather than a global timeout.

Yeah, *probably* fine, maybe not. We don’t know, just guess. And as the saying
goes: better safe than sorry.

And the 2 mins are empirically obviously a safe solution.

--
Peter Boy
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Pboy

Timezone: CET (UTC+1) / CEST (UTC+2)

Fedora Server Edition Working Group member
Fedora docs team contributor
Java developer and enthusiast