Dne 03. 01. 23 v 14:20 Fabio Valentini napsal(a):
On Tue, Jan 3, 2023 at 2:14 PM Stephen Smoogen <ssmoo...@redhat.com> wrote:

On Tue, 3 Jan 2023 at 04:20, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek <zbys...@in.waw.pl>
wrote:
On Tue, Jan 03, 2023 at 09:32:58AM +0100, Vitaly Zaitsev via devel wrote:
On 02/01/2023 21:44, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
- fedpkg mockbuild
But it doesn't work correctly (will always use Release: 1) if you run
"rpmbuild -bs foo-bar.spec" which is a very common scenario.
"Doctor, it hurts when I do that."

'rpmbuild -bs' is broken. Don't use it.

Could you please elucidate why the command that people have used for nearly 30
years and is the most documented on how to build rpms is broken? And how people
should use instead when they may be dealing with an environment which doesn't
allow fedpkg to work? [AKA I am working on a package which I want to submit for
review so I need to build a @$@$% src RPM somehow and I am being told I can't
use the built in command to do so]
"rpmbuild -bs" is not "broken", it just doesn't know about rpmautospec
(because it's implemented on top of RPM instead of *in* RPM),

Oh, it does not know about more things, e.g.:

~~~

$ rpmbuild -bs ruby.spec
error: /home/vondruch/fedora-scm/own/ruby/ruby.spec: line 132: failed to load macro file /home/vondruch/rpmbuild/SOURCES/macros.ruby
  0<  (%load)
~~~

So it does not handle more scenarios then just rpmautospec.

  but it
will still produce a valid SRPM file, just with default fallback
values for both %autorelease (i.e. 1%{?dist}) and %autochangelog (i.e.
empty). I even still recommend "rpmbuild -bs" to "new packagers" for
building an SRPM outside a dist-git repository (for example, for
submitting it for package review).

IMHO, it would be much better to recommend:

~~~

$ touch sources

$ fedpkg --release f38 srpm

~~~

instead.

Vít

But for building an SRPM in a
dist-git repo, "fedpkg srpm" is absolutely the better choice.

Fabio