On Tue, Jan 03, 2023 at 03:50:10PM +0100, Vít Ondruch wrote:

> Dne 03. 01. 23 v 14:20 Fabio Valentini napsal(a):
> > On Tue, Jan 3, 2023 at 2:14 PM Stephen Smoogen <ssmoo...@redhat.com> wrote:

> > > Could you please elucidate why the command that people have used for
> > > nearly 30 years and is the most documented on how to build rpms is
> > > broken? And how people should use instead when they may be dealing with
> > > an environment which doesn't allow fedpkg to work? [AKA I am working on a
> > > package which I want to submit for review so I need to build a @$@$% src
> > > RPM somehow and I am being told I can't use the built in command to do so]
> > "rpmbuild -bs" is not "broken", it just doesn't know about rpmautospec
> > (because it's implemented on top of RPM instead of *in* RPM),
>

> Oh, it does not know about more things, e.g.:
>
> ~~~
>
> $ rpmbuild -bs ruby.spec
> error: /home/vondruch/fedora-scm/own/ruby/ruby.spec: line 132: failed to
> load macro file /home/vondruch/rpmbuild/SOURCES/macros.ruby
>   0<  (%load)
> ~~~

Yes, this is what I was talking about too. Because rpmbuild does not set
%_sourcedir, it may fail to load some files. Even worse, it may load *wrong*
versions, e.g. when some old version is present in the ~/rpmbuild/SOURCES/.
Personally, I have dozens of stray files there from old rpm builds there…

> So it does not handle more scenarios then just rpmautospec.

> IMHO, it would be much better to recommend:
>
> $ touch sources
> $ fedpkg --release f38 srpm

Ideally, fedpkg/rpkg would allow 'sources' to not exist and DTRT automatically.
It would just make everyone's life easier.

Zbyszek