> I think it would save everyone a bit of time if we restricted the change
> to x86-64.  We do not have much experience with the -mbackchain flag
> that was added at the last minute on s390x.  The change owners have
> stated that they aren't interested in s390x.  IBM doesn't want this.
> Platform Tools does not want it.  I doubt the desktop team does GNOME
> performance analysis on s390x on Fedora.  I'm not even sure if the tools
> support backchain-based unwinding; it's not a frame pointer after all.
> Maybe -mbackchain won't cause any issues in after all, but we just don't
> have the time to test this before the mass rebuild.

I had a look at the kernel unwinding code for s390 and it seems to use
the backchain if it's available and fall back to the frame pointer otherwise.
So from our end (change proposal authors) we're OK with dropping
mbackchain for s390 and only using fno-omit-frame-pointer for s390.
We'll open a PR to change this in the rpm macros.

> As Jakub and I have repeatedly explained, -fno-omit-frame-pointer on
> i686 is known to break certain packages (although I worked around this
> in glibc last year), simply because the reduced number of registers
> makes it impossible for GCC to compile certain functions with inline
> assembly in them.  As with s390x, the concrete impact is not known at
> this point, and we are out of time for test builds.

Given these issues should manifest as compilation failures, we should notice
very clearly once the mass rebuild starts if there's a bigger problem. If
there's
only a few packages that run into issues, they can opt-out. If there's larger
problems,
we can remove frame pointers from i686.

> Using -mno-omit-leaf-frame-pointer for aarch64 seems to be another
> last-minute addition without any clear justification.  (On AArch64, the
> link register allows one to recover the address of the immediate caller
> even if a leaf function does not have a frame pointer.  That's not
> possible on x86-64, where the caller's address must be read from the
> stack, and that has to be based on the frame pointer.)  Just because the
> compiler option is there to enable doesn't mean it does anything useful
> in this context.

As I mentioned in the fesco ticket, the kernel unwinder looks at the
frame pointer register (x29) first when starting an unwind on aarch64 before
looking
at the link register. As such, it seems logical to require frame pointers to be
available
in leaf functions so the frame pointer register is available to start
unwinding. I'm happy
to be proven wrong here so we can remove mno-omit-leaf-frame-pointer for
aarch64.

Cheers,

Daan De Meyer

Re: Schedule for Tuesday's FESCo Meeting (2023-01-03)]