On Thu, Jan 19, 2023 at 4:04 PM Ewoud Kohl van Wijngaarden
<ewoud+fed...@kohlvanwijngaarden.nl> wrote:
> >Do you agree it would be safe to remove such conditionals and the code
> >they hold ?
>
> Only if they're purely for Fedora. In many examples you also see a rhel
> conditional and that could be used for EPEL. A good number of packagers
> like to use the same spec since it reduces maintenance burden on
> updates. So in that case the mentioned RHEL/EPEL version should also be
> EOL.

I agree.
I'd just add that the same may apply to the %{rhel} macros too - Is
there any need to check for *EOLed* RHEL releases?

> I'm not sure this is great. For example, it may introduce revbumps,
> which can cause a package rebuild but in the resulting RPM these should
> make no difference (otherwise they wouldn't be safe).
>
> To me the right time is to on version bump of a package where you're
> already making changes anyway.

I don't see a need to make a bump and build for every change, only for
changes that are expected to be built.
There are mass rebuilds anyway, so it will be bumped and built eventually.

--

Michal Schorm
Software Engineer