On Fri, May 12, 2023 at 1:34 PM Florian Weimer <fwei...@redhat.com> wrote:

> * Owen Taylor:
>
> > On Wed, May 10, 2023 at 9:48 AM Florian Weimer <fwei...@redhat.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >  * Aoife Moloney:
> >
> >  > There are two types of Flatpak containers -
> >  > runtimes - which contain unmodified Fedora packages,
> >  > and applications - which contain Fedora packages rebuilt to relocate
> >  > them from /usr to /app.
> >
> >  Is this relocation still required?
> >
> > Yes - the /app vs. /usr split is pretty fundamental to the operation
> > of Flatpak, and this Change doesn't propose any changes to how Flatpak
> > works, just how Flatpaks are built in Fedora.
>
> Do you have a pointer where I can read up on the current approach?

Some references that I found quickly:

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/flatpak/concepts/
https://docs.flatpak.org/en/latest/basic-concepts.html

But neither goes into a lot of detail to motivation. I'm certainly willing
to describe things in more detail or look around further if you still have
questions.

> I'm concerned that this is just like Software Collections with a
> different path, which I believe where previously banned in Fedora (and
> are generally a huge hassle on the releng side, I think).

The big distinction here is that there is no idea that these RPMs will be
installed directly on a Fedora system. They are used only when building
Flatpak containers. So I don't think there is much similarity to SCL's
other than "built with a different prefix".

- Owen