On Wed, May 31, 2023 at 05:27:47PM +0200, Jiri Vanek wrote:
This was heavily discussed when we moved to portable build in rpms -
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/JdkInTreeLibsAndStdclibStatic
Long story short yes, if yo wish to distribute jdk *binary* it have
to pass java compliance suite.

It sounds like the problem is the software isn't really open source
because it has some field of use restrictions.  The best plan would be
to change this upstream, and if that isn't possible then to remove it
from Fedora.

Rich.

It is the same discussion about Firefox that is already settled I think. The JVM code is open source, even free software. The trademark isn't. Mozilla doesn't allow anyone to call the browser Firefox without some rules.

Red Hat want to run the tests because Java corporate users want that, so Red Hat does it and at the same time helps to have a more robust Java ecosystem.