On Thu, Jun 01, 2023 at 08:28:18AM -0400, Robert Marcano via devel wrote:
On Wed, May 31, 2023 at 05:27:47PM +0200, Jiri Vanek wrote:
This was heavily discussed when we moved to portable build in rpms -
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/JdkInTreeLibsAndStdclibStatic
Long story short yes, if yo wish to distribute jdk *binary* it have
to pass java compliance suite.

It sounds like the problem is the software isn't really open source
because it has some field of use restrictions.  The best plan would be
to change this upstream, and if that isn't possible then to remove it
>from Fedora.

Rich.

It is the same discussion about Firefox that is already settled I
think. The JVM code is open source, even free software. The
trademark isn't. Mozilla doesn't allow anyone to call the browser
Firefox without some rules.

Both projects involve heavy-handed enforcement of trademarks, but
don't seem to be the same issue.  (I'll leave this to lawyers to
answer definitely though.)

Red Hat want to run the tests because Java corporate users want
that, so Red Hat does it and at the same time helps to have a more
robust Java ecosystem.

That's nice, and indeed RHEL ships OpenJDK.  The question is about
what we do in Fedora.

Rich.

All this change is about the burden of maintaining so many OpenJDK branches as packages in FEdora. Maybe Fedora should stop distributing ancient Java versions as one of our missions is to be cutting edge, maybe we are still encouraging too many projects to stay running on Java 8.

I am saying this as some that would be affected if Java 8 isn't packaged anymore, I still need to develop and test some things with Java 8 because at work we have some customers still running ancient hardware and have been a pain to make them move to modern distributions. So I will have to us another universal OpenJDK build (like Temurin)

Maybe Fedora should just package the latest JDK needed for Android development and the latest LTS version. An even the Android (11 I think) could be skipped because Android Studio includes a build of it. If there are packages still requiring old things, help to update them could be offered by packagers, or dropped from the distribution.