On 6/27/23 10:40, Hans de Goede wrote:

> Ok, so can you provide some instructions for how to make this work ? I guess it would be something like add the cmdline option + then start some systemd unit ? Can you please put some instructions for this in the testing section of: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/AnacondaWebUIforFedoraWorkstation (with a note that this is currently not supported / recommended).
>
>> About the improvements on the Live ISO, that should be a question on Fedora Workstation SIG. Anaconda team is not in charge of the environment on the Live ISO.
>
> Well you are suggesting a change that is likely going to significantly increase the amount of memory needed to do a livecd workstation install and as mentioned above pushing the requirements above 2G would basically block this change since 2G RAM is currently the advertised minimum RAM requirement for Fedora workstation installs.
>
> So although I realize this is not entirely fair IMHO if you want to push forward with this feature then you may also be on the hook to look into reducing the memory footprint elsewhere so that the end result still fits in 2G RAM. I have some experience with tweaking the livecd to work with less RAM and I'm happy to share my experience in this, but I do not have time to actually implement needed changes for this.
Hi Hans,

it would indeed involve adding the `inst.webui` and `inst.webui.remote` kernel command line options and a systemd unit to start the relevant services (I *think* that'd only be `cockpit.service`).

You likely also want to truncate the `/etc/cockpit/allowed-users` file so you can use your empty password root login during installation.

This is normally taken care of when anaconda starts the webservice [1].

I've been working on landing live-installer generation in the image builder projects (there's a separate change request for this). You can follow progress on that here [2].

When the image builder PR lands the first follow ups will involve customization of the live-installer. Including kernel options, packages, and systemd service files. This would allow you to build a lighter version of the live-installer locally to use on the devices you work with.

I am interested to know which tweaks you perform to have the livecd use less RAM to see if I can codify those. Could you share your experience?

Regards, Simon

[1]: https://github.com/rhinstaller/anaconda/blob/413007214f8f7f0dfbdff98431eee5789866e081/pyanaconda/ui/webui/__init__.py#L98
[2]: https://github.com/osbuild/osbuild-composer/pull/3440