On Monday, December 11, 2023 4:59:45 AM EST Tim Flink wrote:
> On 12/8/23 08:34, Steve Grubb wrote:
> > On Friday, December 8, 2023 12:41:59 AM EST Jun Aruga (he / him) wrote:
> >
> >> Congratulations for the PyTorch package!
> >> https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/python-torch
> >>
> >> I hope someone will announce this great achievement to the Fedora
> >> community too, and update the following page too.
> >> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/PyTorch/packagingStatus
> >

> > Yes, this is nice that we have pytorch in Fedora. Looking at the
> > specfile...
> >
> > USE_CUDA=OFF
> > USE_ROCM=OFF
> >
> > Which does not align with:
> >
> > %description
> > PyTorch is a Python package that provides two high-level features:
> >   * Tensor computation (like NumPy) with strong GPU acceleration
> >

> > GPU acceleration? Also,
>
> GPU acceleration is not enabled for the pytorch packages and that is
> intentional, for now. pytorch has a mess of third party dependencies which
> are managed upstream using git subrepos that point to external
> dependencies that may or may not be easy to package for Fedora.

Yes, I am familiar with the orignal LUA version which I had to build locally.

> From the beginning, our plan has been to get pytorch packaged for CPU only
> first and add accelerator support as we can. Perhaps the description for
> pytorch needs to be changed but our intent is to enable ROCm support for
> F40.

If you are doing CPU only, you really should enable a BLAS backend. Fedora
has flexiblas available.

> I don't have the exact list of packages remaining before we can enable ROCm
> support for pytorch in front of me but I believe that we're down into the
> single digits and the biggest hurdle at the moment is ROCm's miopen due to
> some incompatibility with Fedora's llvm or hipcc.

> > USE_OPENMP=OFF
> >
> > So, no threading? What about at least enabling BLAS? Maybe it is by
> > default. Not seeing it in the specfile. Without a CUDA version of this,
> > it can't be used the way it was meant to be. We still need to use pip
> > install to get an accelerated version:
>
> I'm not familiar with OpenMP or what might be required there, Tom (cc'd)
> would know more on that exact detail.

GCC should natively support it - unless it uses something brand new GCC
hasn't adopted yet.

> I doubt that a CUDA version of pytorch will ever be packagable for the
> Fedora repos - the licensing on CUDA would have to change before that
> happens and while it's possible, it doesn't seem likely in the foreseeable
> future.

> It would be great to enable support for Intel accelerators but that is a
> different project for a different day. ROCm is the only accelerator
> support that we have scoped out at this point.

> > pip install torch
> > python3

> > The config listed there should be compared with the config in the spec
> > file to get as close to the expected feature set as possible so that
> > people can just switch. This is a positive step and I would love to
> > switch one day.
>
> In general, there are two reasons why a torch feature is not enabled in the
> Fedora package:

> 1. The license of a dependency for that feature is incompatible with
> Fedora
> 2. One or more dependencies are not yet packaged for Fedora

I think you can add OpenMP and BLAS support easily. That should be a small
win.

-Steve

> Obviously, features that fall into (1) are very difficult, if not
> impossible for us to work around. Features that fall into (2) will likely
> need more time - the first build for PyTorch was about a week ago and we
> still have work to do.

> We are working to get the pytorch packages in Fedora to be as complete as
> we can make them. If anyone is interested in helping, please join us on
> discourse (#ai-ml-sig) or Matrix (#ai-ml:fedoraproject.org).

> Tim
>

> > Best Regards,
> > -Steve
> >
> > --