On Fri, 23 Feb 2024 at 08:04, Sérgio Basto <ser...@serjux.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2024-02-22 at 20:36 -0500, Neal Gompa wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 22, 2024 at 8:32 PM Sérgio Basto <ser...@serjux.com>
>
> > No. This is one of those many myths about the "Unix FHS". And it
> > doesn't even matter much these days anyway, since most newer
> > administrative tools don't install in sbin anyway.
> >

> name it one , I'm not aware.
>
> Fedora old school (or just me I don't know ) don't use sudo , sudo is a
> bad idea that came from Ubuntu and turn computer much more insecure ,

sudo has been part of the Red Hat/Fedora family since Red Hat Linux 7.0
https://archive.download.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/7.0/en/os/i386/RedHat/RPMS/
(2000-09) and had been in powertools since at least 5.2
https://archive.download.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/5.2/en/powertools/i386/
(1998-11). Both of those dates vastly predate Ubuntu. While they had been
part of Debian before that they were included in Powertools in 5 due to
requests for it being used on Unix systems which were being replaced with
Red Hat Linux. [sudo was already a preferred tool in various university and
corporate environments because it did allow for all kinds of policy
decisions which were easily updated versus the standard at that time to
make a chroot wrapper and control via group permissions. Many times these
wrappers were the most insecure thing on a system. ]

https://xkcd.com/1200/

> And PATH at root user have sbin and PATH of regular user should not
> have /sbin/
>
> but checking we got this pearl in /etc/profile
>

> if [ "$EUID" = "0" ]; then
> pathmunge /usr/sbin
> pathmunge /usr/local/sbin
> else
> pathmunge /usr/local/sbin after
> pathmunge /usr/sbin after
> fi

There have been holy wars over /usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin for as long
as I have been a systems administrator in the 1980's. Different schools of
thought have their world view of when/who/how people should have access to
it and it would be even split into which Unix you used because of what was
needed to act per system.

In the end, this choice tends to be deeply personal where each person
assumes the world should follow their model and then get increasingly angry
that is not the case. I have seen it create complete forks of an operating
system due to needing to compile in such paths in various tools.

--
Stephen Smoogen, Red Hat Automotive
Let us be kind to one another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle.