On 4/29/2011 9:12, Jesse Keating wrote:
> It is somewhat difficult, and odd, to create a git repo that does not
> have a master branch.  It would be a little more odd to potentially at
> some point in the future create the master branch for a package should
> it find a home within Fedora.

As you say, this practice is somewhat unusual, but it is not difficult.
  It takes but a single easily-scriptable command prior to the first
commit to change the name of the initial branch.  Since Fedora's repo
creation scripts already do an initial commit in every new package
repository this should not be difficult to add to that process.

Creating a master branch where none existed would primarily be a matter
of deciding which existing branch to branch the new master branch from.
  This part should only be difficult to do programmatically if the
desired preexisting branch is not the initial one that the repository's
first commit was created on.

> There need not be much/any content in the master branch, but there
> should still be one for each package.

For the sake of code simplicity, I agree:  every repo ought to have a
master branch.  Having one omnipresent branch lets Fedora's repo
management scripts make some very useful assumptions.  (Yes, this
opinion flies in the face of my previous statements.)  ;-)