On Mon, 13.06.11 14:27, Matthew Garrett (mj...@srcf.ucam.org) wrote:

> > > I guess because binaries shouldn't go in the library directory.
> >
> > But it isn't a library directory. It's a directory for arch-depndendant
> > stuff, which includes (but is not limited to) libraries.
>
> It's a directory for arch-dependent stuff that should only exist once on
> a system, whereas lib is for arch-dependent stuff that may exist for
> multiple architectures on one system. I have no opinion on whether that
> distinction is important.

That is not really how it is. /lib is for arch-dependent stuff including
the libraries of the primary arch. Libraries for secondary archs are
then put in /usr/lib{64,arch}/.

Gentoo is the only distro which is so confused to put binaries that
belong into /usr/lib into /usr/lib64 just because they are compiled for
64bit. But that's just because they are confused.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.