mån 2011-06-13 klockan 11:52 -0400 skrev Simo Sorce:
> On Mon, 2011-06-13 at 17:41 +0200, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 5:36 PM, Lennart Poettering
> > <mzerq...@0pointer.de> wrote:

> > > That is not really how it is. /lib is for arch-dependent stuff including
> > > the libraries of the primary arch. Libraries for secondary archs are
> > > then put in /usr/lib{64,arch}/.
> >
> > On x86_64 the 64-bit arch is primary and the 32-bit arch is secondary.
> >  Surely the 32-bit files don't belong to /usr/lib64?

Don't think of it as primary and secondary. Think of it as "the arch
that got its hands on /usr/lib first" and "the arch that had to make do
with another directory for its conflicting files".

> I thinkLennart is saying that on a 64 bit system they would have to go
> to /usr/lib32

I don't think that's what Lennart means...

The difference between libraries and binaries is that with libraries you
sometimes need both the primary and the secondary, but with binaries you
only need one, so those binaries can go in the same directory /usr/lib
regardless of their arch. (Just like there's no bin64.)

To put it another way:

Sure, /usr/libexec could be removed, but there's no need to then split
its content into /usr/lib and /usr/lib64. Only use lib64 in the cases
where there would be a conflict between the two arches.

/abo