On 06/17/2011 02:26 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Adam Williamson wrote:
>> This is a common misapprehension, but it's not true. The reason for the
>> large icon grid is actually that the developers did real world user
>> research (yes, really!) and found that many people had significant
>> trouble navigating the typical Windows / GNOME 2 nested menu system full
>> of wide-but-short entries. They would lose levels in the nesting by
>> moving the mouse a bit wrong. They would launch the wrong thing because
>> the target area was too short. This was especially pronounced with poor
>> pointing devices - particularly cheap trackpads on cheap laptops.
>>
>> The Giant Grid O' Icons is navigable with a much higher success rate.
> There are less radical solutions for these problems though, see e.g. KDE's
> Kickoff menu. (But I can't get used even to that, I use the classic menu
> which KDE Plasma also offers.)

I wonder why you recommend solutions you can't even get used to.  In
terms of usability,  it is not clear to me kickoff is doing a better job
at all.  It is a rather convoluted way of organizing menu items and I
had to switch it off and use the classic menu instead.  I have used both
and I found the GNOME 3 menu interface more familiar and less radical in
fact.

Rahul