On Wed, 27.07.11 13:11, Bryn M. Reeves (b...@redhat.com) wrote:

> It appears to use the kernel autofs support but replaces the userspace daemon
> (and replaces the traditional automounter map file format with
> system.automount
> unit files).
>
> I can appreciate a benefit for personal systems from systemd managing network
> file system mounts since it's in a position to know when the network is up
> (this
> has been a problem with /etc/fstab, NFS/CIFS and NetworkManger for some time)
> but I'm not sure that large deployments with existing autofs infrastructures
> will be so keen to make the switch.

The traditional autofs installtions tend to focus on indirect mounts,
not direct mounts. systemd does not cover indirect mounts, and it is
very unlikely that it ever will. Replacing exisiting autofs
installations with the built-in systemd stuff is not possible and out of
focus for us.

Direct automounts:

 you establish an automount point /home, and on access a file system is
 mounted to /home. (i.e. if I access /home/lennart the fs will be
 mounted to /home)

Indirect automounts:

 you establish an automount point /home, and on access of directory
 beneath it a file system is mounted on it. (i.e. if I access
 /home/lennart the fs will be mounted to /home/lennart).

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.