On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 1:43 PM, Nathaniel McCallum
<nathan...@natemccallum.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 1:38 PM, Bill McGonigle <b...@bfccomputing.com> wrote:
>> On 08/03/2011 01:19 PM, Dan Williams wrote:
>>> The Ubuntu NM maintainer has posted a WIP patch that makes NM say it's
>>> connected immediately if at least one of IPv4 or IPv6 completes.
>>> Currently if both are enabled, NM won't say it's connected until both
>>> are done (and result in either success or failure).  That at least
>>> speeds up the perceived connection speed, which isn't a bad thing.
>>
>> Nice, that will help almost everybody, but possibly it could break
>> somebody who's depending explicitly on IPv6 (or IPv4 in the other case)
>> for an app and now thinks the network is up.
>>
>> How do apps, e.g. Thunderbird, know when they're online?  dbus, /sys?
>>
>> If this change happens, there ought to be a way for that small slice of
>> apps to check to see that the stack they demand is really up, if they're
>> depending on it (more directly than parsing text output of userland
>> tools).  Probably this already exists, right?
>
> It seems like NM's state transitions need to become more explicit.
> 1. IPv4 connected
> 2. IPv6 connected
> 3. "internet" connected (including proxy discovery)

I have also thought that it would be interesting to handle the case of
VPNs in this way as well. That way an app can discover if a resource
(like a mail server) requires a certain VPN to be up. It can then
request the VPN to be connected, or at least not throw up connection
errors if the VPN is down.

Nathaniel