On 08/11/2011 12:32 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-08-10 at 09:02 -0400, Doug Ledford wrote:
>> Can we please either disable these nag messages or give developers the
>> ability to push a package regardless of testing when it reaches nag age?
>
> You have that ability for non-critpath updates, but for critpath the
> thought is that updates really need to get tested before they go out.
>
> I've said a few times that I think this could be adjusted for old
> releases, on practical grounds. It makes no sense in theory - if
> anything, the testing requirements for old releases should be *tighter*,
> as there's a greater expectation of stability - but in practice, we just
> don't have the test coverage for old releases. Either not many people
> run them, or those who do just aren't interested in running
> updates-testing and providing feedback.

For stability is why my update was just the addition of two known good
patches and not a rebase.  But if we don't get test coverage, and a
maintainer can't do a limited bugfix release which is typically low risk
and well tested, then getting these limited fixes to the people that
need them becomes next to impossible.

> I've never got around to working up a coherent proposed modification and
> submitting it, though - if anyone else can, that'd be great.

I'll just go back to what I've said before.  I don't care what system
you create as long as there is something/someone responsible and
accountable for getting things unblocked.  Right now there is no
one/thing responsible and accountable for getting things approved and
you nag the one person who doesn't have the ability to do it.  That's
just flat backwards.

--
Doug Ledford <dledf...@redhat.com>
              GPG KeyID: CFBFF194