Lennart Poettering (mzerq...@0pointer.de) said:
> > Oh, I just noticed this:
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines:Systemd#Socket_activation
> > "Since Fedora currently doesn't want any services to do on-demand
>
> Uh, oh. I think CUPS is definitely something we should lazily socket
> activate instead of run it unconditionally.
>
> Spot, Bill, what's the reason for this wording in the guidelines? As
> CUPS is something we really should start only when needed, why do we
> have this wording in the guidelines? Can we relax this?

I'm trying to remember. Perhaps it stemmed from the side consequence of
needing to know if a particular service had a socket entry, and therefore
you needed to disable both to disable a service? (I do recall there being
issues with socket-activated NetworkManager for reasons along these
lines.)

For something like cups, would this impose a significant delay in things
such as the GTK or QT print dialog, if opening that dialog causes the
cups daemon to then start?

Bill